Jonathan works as an engineer and UX designer for Polymathic.
- Dev Bootcamp – Director of online product and strategy. Lead redesign team that doubled visitor-to-application conversion rate.
- Moxie Jean – Product owner, identity and UI designer, system architect, all code.
- The Global Integrity Report – Product owner, identity and UI designer, system architect.
- ChicagoStories.org – Team lead, product owner, identity and UI designer, system architect.
- Social Tech Census – Early stage team lead.
- Open Government Partnership – Product owner, general contractor.
- Foglamp.org – Product owner, identity and UI design, system architect.
- Indaba Fieldwork Platform – Team lead, product owner, identity and UI designer.
Sites built on Indaba:
- stateintegrity.org, finalist for the Goldsmith Prize for Investigative Reporting
Jonathan is always happy to meet new people and chat about your work. Interests include:
- Evidence-based product design
- Startup social enterprises
- Tools for distributed teams
- Community building, collaboration spaces
- Information architecture
- Storytelling and journalism
- Facilitation and training, curriculum design
“Jonathan is great at managing the big picture of business directions. He has excellent sense in product usability. He is brilliant technically and has all the skills in designing and implementing product UI and data architecture.”— Yan Cheng, Chief Architect, AOL (1995-2009)
- 2000: Meets gorgeous student-newspaper editor named Kate. Smitten.
- 2001: Freelance reporting on social movements in Bangkok. Magazine editing in Khon Kaen. Writing for Rough Guides First-Time Around the World in Stockholm.
- 2002: Early core of Global Integrity network created via lots and lots and lots of emails. Exploring databases and CRM.
- 2003: Reporting on defense contracting and oil money in Washington, DC. Exploring project management tools.
- 2004: Co-created Global Integrity Index as a project of The Center for Public Integrity. Exploring programming, graphic design.
- 2005: Eyler-Werve wedding in Nashville. 1500km honeymoon biking around New Zealand’s South Island.
Teaching outdoor science to middle schoolers from South Central LA.
Co-founded first for-profit company, Sparks Custom Publishing, an on-demand, scalable editing service focused on social sector. Profitable and employing ten people within one year.
- 2006: Global Integrity launches as independent non-profit.
MAGIC platform is built. Consulting for Engage, RSF.
World Bank describes Global Integrity Index as a “best practice for governance metrics”.
- 2007: Ashoka “Changemakers” award.
Joined board of Global Lives Project.
Global Integrity Commons launches, drawing 100,000 pageviews in the first year.
- 2008: Human rights journalism award from Archbishop Desmond Tutu and The Elders.
Co-founded Navigators Guild, a new media strategy company focused on social sector.
- 2009: Global Integrity scales up Local Integrity Initative.
Foglamp research service begins client work.
Global Integrity partners with Omidyar Network.
- 2010: Designed Indaba fieldwork platform with support of the Hewlett Foundation, Omidyar Network and Open Society Institute.
- 2011: Indaba fieldwork platform used to complete 3,000+ assignments in 40+ countries in first year of deployment.
100% of orgs that deploy projects on Indaba return to run new projects.
Blog post on privacy flaws at Etsy.com sparks media firestorm. Etsy redesigns site in 24 hours.
In a policy address, Secretary Clinton uses the Global Integrity Report to frame US goals in the Middle East.
Designed online strategy for the Open Government Partnership with EchoDitto and WireMedia.
Foglamp featured on front page of the New York Times business section.
- 2012: Director of Chicago Summit Project and ChicagoStories.org.
Moxie Jean rebrands and launches and ecommerce site in three weeks during Excelerate Labs. The new company raises money within months of launch.
The Worldwide Web Foundation, Transparency International-UK and Public Radio International publish projects on Indaba.
- 2013: ChicagoStories.org wins a Golden Trumpet from the Publicity Club of Chicago.
Moxie Jean moves into a new 9,000 square foot studio.
The Social Tech Census enters beta.
Dev Bootcamp Chicago opens.
- 2014: Dev Bootcamp graduates its 1000th student.
- 2015: Dev Bootcamp updates online properties, doubling overall visitor-to-applicant conversion rate. Joins Polymathic.
Web design awards
- ChicagoStories.org, Winner, Golden Trumpet Award from the Publicity Club of Chicago
- stateintegrity.org, built on Indaba Fieldwork Platform, finalist for the Goldsmith Prize for Investigative Reporting
- The Global Integrity Report, Winner, APEX Award (Awards of Excellence 2008).
- The Politics of Oil, Winner, Society of Environmental Journalists Award for Outstanding Online Reporting; Winner, Sigma Delta Chi Award for Investigative Reporting Online (Independent); Finalist, Investigative Reporters and Editors (Online).
- Internet Censorship: A Comparative Study, Winner, The Elders’ Every Human Has Rights Media Award.
- Windfalls of War, Winner, George Polk Award for Internet Reporting.
- Making a Killing: The Business of War, Winner, Sigma Delta Chi Award for Investigative Reporting Online (Independent); Finalist, ONA Online Journalism Awards, Enterprise Reporting (Independent).
- The Water Barons, Winner, Investigative Reporters and Editors award (Online Journalism); Finalist, ONA Online Journalism Awards (Enterprise Reporting).
- The Corruption Notebooks 2008. (Global Integrity) 2009, Editor
- A Users’ Guide to Measuring Corruption. (UNDP) 2008, Co-author. Available in English, Spanish, French
- Alice’s Kitchen. (Sparks Custom Publishing) 2008, Editor
- The Corruption Notebooks 2007. (Global Integrity) 2008, Editor
- The Corruption Notebooks 2006. (Global Integrity) 2007, Editor
- The Corruption Notebooks (Public Integrity Books) 2004, Project Manager
- First-Time Around the World (Rough Guides) 2002, Researcher, Contributing Author
- “By far the best primer on corruption I’ve read.” — Samuel Rubenfeld, Wall Street Journal.
- The Global Integrity Report “has been a very important global trend-setter… Global Integrity’s work is unique in that it relies on the contributions of local in-country experts and seeks to assess the opposite of corruption (good governance and anti-corruption mechanisms) rather than corruption itself…. a must read.” — P. Radhakrishnan, Asian Tribune
- “Well-read philosopher, community journalist, and passionate truthteller…” — Jesse Sunenblick, MainJustice.com